Dining out is a fun way to celebrate special occasions, connect with friends and colleagues, and enjoy a night away from the kitchen. But for most of us, it often also means straying from healthy eating decisions and overindulging. However, the good news is that it is possible to enjoy a delicious seafood dinner at your favorite restaurant without the guilt. To give you a helping hand, we’ve compiled a list of simple tips and tricks that will enable you to stick to your healthy eating plan, while still savoring the joyful experience of dining on seafood at a restaurant.
- Order your seafood grilled, baked, broiled, roasted or poached. Avoid fried and breaded options, which tend to be high in calories and saturated fat.
- Stick with lighter sauces, such as tomato-based or broth-based options. Creamy sauces are usually high in calories and loaded with saturated fat and sodium.
- Add a salad or side of vegetables to your meal. The potassium in vegetables helps counter the sodium that is typically prevalent in restaurant meals.
- Request that sauces be served on the side. Don’t be afraid to customize your meal to fit your needs.
- Ask for a to-go box ahead of time. While you might not be able to control the final number of calories or amount of sodium in your meal, you can control how much you eat. Box up half of your meal right away, when it is served, to help with portion control. Plus, you’ll have delicious leftovers for lunch tomorrow!