Take a turkey break and whip up this easy Cod and Corn Chowder for a satisfying–and healthy—lunch or dinner. The satisfying flavor of cod mixed with corn, red pepper, onion and potatoes is like no other. Plus, it’s ready in 15 minutes. Take your leftovers to work the next day for a lunch that reheats into another tasty seafood meal!
Cod and Corn Chowder
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups potatoes, washed well and diced (keep peel on)
- 1½ pounds cod, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn, thawed
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup skim milk
- Dash of turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and scallion whites. Sauté until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes and cod. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add corn, half-and-half, skim milk, red pepper flakes and turmeric. Cover and bring to a light simmer.
- Add salt and pepper, as desired. Garnish with scallion greens.