September is National Family Meal Month, which means it’s the perfect time to shine the spotlight on some of our seafood family favorites that are nutritious and fun to make with the whole gang!
Research shows that family meals eaten at home together provide benefits that go well beyond the kitchen table, including creating healthy eating habits, boosting school grades and helping to reduce the risk of adolescent depression. But we know first-hand that fall is a busy time for families, so give yourself a hand by choosing foods that are easy to prepare. Adding easy-to-cook and versatile seafood like tuna, salmon and shrimp to your family meals makes a delicious and healthy choice for everyone. Want even more help getting that family meal on the table? Get your kids and partner in the kitchen to help! Eating—and cooking—together boosts family bonding and creates family memories.
So this month, we have some family-friendly meals that are fun and easy to whip up. Everyone can help peel shrimp and crumble cheese in the grits, measure noodles for the tuna casserole and shape and mold the crab cakes, cod burgers and salmon nuggets.
Here are some other all-hands-on-deck ideas to add a bit of fun to mealtimes.
- Ask little ones to practice their math skills by counting out silverware and napkins and helping set and clear the table.
- Let your teens get creative by finding recipes and doing the shopping.
- Throw a blanket on the living room floor and host a cozy, indoor picnic (all the fun, none of the bugs).
- Make meals together ahead of time when life is a little less hectic, and then refrigerate to let the flavors meld while you read or kick the soccer ball with your kids. Then, let everyone help with table set-up and final prep.
- For more ideas visit Family Meals Month.
And now it’s time to start enjoying these crave-able, good-for-you seafood family favorites – we promise everyone around the table will want to them make time and time again!
Easy Cod Burgers
Flaky, mild and packed with veggies and aromatic herbs, these patties are a perfect main event at dinnertime.
Instant Pot Recipe: Shrimp & Cheesy-Chive Grits
A Southern-inspired palate pleaser of plump shrimp, tangy goat cheese and a hint of onion.
Mediterranean Tuna-Noodle Casserole
The 1930s classic gets a richer, moister and more colorful upgrade – a seafood family favorite!
Spicy Mango Crab Cakes
Fresh and colorful crab cakes that are a little sweet, a little spicy and all kinds of tasty.
Baked Salmon Nuggets
Warning: These crispy, crunchy nuggets made with fresh salmon are irresistible!