What better way to kick off the summer than with a new series on our Dish on Fish blog? Introducing the Dish on Fish Seafood Supper Club! Every other month from June through November, each edition will spotlight one simple seafood recipe that utilizes everyday ingredients and requires limited cooking time. The step-by-step instructions in each recipe post will be accompanied by photos walking you through the process. We will do the teaching, and we want YOU to do the cooking! Our goal is to have each of you cook along with us, and then have you come back and share photos of your successful seafood dishes.
By the end of the year, you’ll have three simple seafood recipes under your belt. If you are a novice chef or simply have little experience cooking fish or shellfish, this series will help you feel more confident in the kitchen when it comes to preparing nutritious and delicious seafood. Before we get started, we’ll let you in on a little secret: Cooking seafood is easy! But don’t just take our word for it; try out these recipes for yourself. Now, let’s kick off the Seafood Supper Club series with shrimp!
This month we’re serving up a summer favorite, Honey Garlic Shrimp Skewers. After a few simple steps, you’ll have a sweet and savory protein ready to impress! Serve these tasty treats as stand-alone appetizers, pair them with a side of grilled veggies, or top a summer salad with them, for a healthy, balanced meal! The options are endless and this recipe is so easy, we know you’ll make these all season long. So, grab some skewers and shrimp and let’s dive in!
Honey Garlic Shrimp Skewers
Prep Time: 25 minutes (plus 30 minutes to soak skewers)
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8-10 wooden skewers
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. (Skip if using metal skewers.)
- In small bowl, mix honey, soy sauce, garlic and red pepper. This is your marinade.
- Pour all the shrimp and half of the marinade into a large plastic baggie, seal and set baggie in refrigerator for 15 minutes, to marinate the shrimp. Set aside other half of the marinade.
- Preheat grill to medium-high and thread 5-6 shrimp on each skewer.
- Grill shrimp skewers on one side for 2-3 minutes. Flip and brush with remaining marinade and cook 2-3 more minutes, or until shrimp are cooked thoroughly.
- Remove from grill and enjoy your delicious Honey Garlic Shrimp Skewers!
As you can see, it doesn’t take a laundry list of ingredients or a ton of time to turn shrimp into a delicious lunch or dinner! This recipe is perfect for testing your seafood skills, and you might be pleasantly surprised at how simple it really is. For a little added “oomph,” we also have a few preparation tips and nutritional facts to enhance your newfound shrimp expertise.
- Shrimp cook quickly. Avoid overcooking by watching the color of the shrimp. When they turn light pink, they’re done.
- When using an acidic marinade, like those with vinegar, wine or fruit juices, you should marinate shrimp no more than a maximum of 30 minutes. The acid will actually start to “cook” the shrimp. However if your marinade is non-acidic, like those with olive oil, butter and herbs, you can marinate for an hour or more if desired. Always marinate in the refrigerator for optimal food safety.
- Working with frozen shrimp? Leave them in the refrigerator overnight to thaw, or run them under cold water if you need them immediately.
Shrimp Health Benefits:
- Low in Calories
- Selenium – Boosts immunity and thyroid health.
- Vitamin B12 – Supports brain and nervous system health.
- Protein – Builds and supports muscle and overall health.
- Phosphorus – Promotes strong, healthy bones.
- Astaxanthin – Antioxidant that helps fight inflammation
Like this recipe? Share your shrimp skewer creations with us on social media, using the hashtag #SeafoodSupperClub. Just browsing? Save this recipe on Pinterest!