Welcome to the latest edition of our Seafood Supper Club step-by-step series! Inspired by Southern flavors and armed with our trusty Instant Pot, we set out to create an easy-to-follow, downright delicious seafood recipe our readers would love. The result? The most amazing shrimp-and-grits dish.
If you’ve been to the blog before, you know we love using our Instant Pot to cook seafood, because it’s basically foolproof – a little prep work and in it goes! Then, voilà, you have a perfectly cooked, seafood that rivals your favorite restaurant’s.
Now, back to our Shrimp & Cheesy-Chive Grits recipe. While the shrimp is clearly the star of this dish, these aren’t your run-of-the-mill grits, either. To create an unforgettable shrimp dinner that you’ll make again and again, we’ve upped the ante by adding goat cheese and chives to the grits. The result: a savory, cheesy and oh-so-satisfying seafood meal that will have your mouth watering before you even complete step one.
We can’t wait to walk you through our newest recipe! For more step-by-step seafood dishes, check out our Lemon Tilapia Piccata, Spicy Sheet-Pan Salmon, Honey Garlic Shrimp Skewers and Avocado-Crab Benny.
Instant Pot Shrimp & Cheesy-Chive Grits
Prep Time: 30 mins.
Cook Time: 45 mins.
Total Time: 1 hr. 15 mins.
1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
½ cup chicken broth (or ¼ cup broth + ¼ cup white wine)
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. Tabasco sauce
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
½ cup stone-ground grits
1 cup water
1 cup low-fat milk
1 tsp. butter
2 oz. goat cheese (or, if you prefer, shredded cheddar also works well)
2 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
¼ cup fat-free half-and-half
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, toss shrimp and Old Bay seasoning together; set aside.
2. Turn Instant Pot to sauté function. Add olive oil to Instant Pot, then sauté onion, garlic and bell pepper until tender and translucent (about 6-7 minutes). Turn off sauté function. Add broth or broth/wine mixture and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) to Instant Pot to make gravy; stir until well combined. Insert trivet on top of gravy ingredients.
3. In a medium glass bowl that will cook the grits inside the Instant Pot, mix grits together with water and low-fat milk; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place glass bowl on trivet inside Instant Pot. Put IP lid on and set on Manual (H) for 15 minutes.
4. Allow IP to release manually; open IP and carefully remove hot bowl and trivet. (Pro tip: make a “foil sling” or use heat-resistant silicone bands to make it easier to remove the bowl.) Set aside grits bowl. Add shrimp and half-and-half to Instant Pot; bury shrimp with the gravy and let shrimp cook in the hot gravy for about 3-5 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked.
5. In grits bowl, stir in butter, goat cheese and chives.
6. To serve, spoon grits into bowls and top with shrimp and gravy.