Nothing says summer like a leisurely outdoor feast with friends and family. Add some color and fresh flavor to your next gathering with an easy and healthy family-style seafood dish. That’s right, we’re talking seafood paella. And guess what? You don’t have to travel to Spain to get the good stuff!This decadent combination of fresh shrimp, fish and clams with caramelized rice and sweet vegetables will have your taste buds shouting for more. Not only is this dish bursting with flavor, it’s chock full of important vitamins, minerals and essential omega-3s our bodies need to live stronger, smarter and longer. This Mediterranean-style dish may quickly become one of your favorites.
Whether you’re an avid chef or kitchen newbie, this zesty and creamy seafood paella is quick and easy to prepare, making entertaining a breeze. Our brand-new recipe is sure to be the highlight of your next summer gathering. Pair with some crusty bread, and voila! All you need now is a pitcher of sangria. Salud!
Suggested cooking tools: Paella pan or Dutch oven
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken, vegetable or seafood broth
- Pinch of saffron
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb. white fish, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (6.5 oz.) can of clams, minced, undrained
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced or stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen sweet green peas, thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in paella pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until onion is starting to turn translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook about 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth and saffron; add rice and stir until rice is in an even layer in the pot. Bring to a boil, then turn to medium heat and let cook until about half of liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add shrimp, fish, clams, clam juice and tomatoes and nestle under rice. Cook until seafood is cooked through and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add peas to top and let stand for 5 minutes, or until remaining liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Makes 4 servings.