Good morning, Seafoodies!
Have you ever noticed how some times fly by faster than the rest? Like, those precious moments between the morning alarm and getting out the door! Well, you aren’t dreaming – we have an amazing new seafood breakfast dish that will solve it all: Shrimp and Egg Breakfast Burritos! It’s a nutritious meal that’s guaranteed to make our mornings easier and tastier, even if you’re running late.
We think burritos are one of the best things to happen to breakfast! They’re so versatile, prep-able (you can even freeze ahead) and, of course, portable. This burrito tastes like a Western omelet with seafood swapped in for the ham. It’s good for you, too, packing in plenty of protein thanks to the shrimp and eggs, as well as nutrients like selenium, vitamin B-12 and omega-3s. We can’t think of a better reason to make breakfast a regular habit!
It all starts with a quick shrimp sauté. Our recommendation: keep a bag of shrimp in the freezer so you can whip these up anytime. From there, add aromatic vegetables, scrambled eggs and cheese. Wrap it all up in a warm tortilla (we use whole wheat tortillas for an extra nutritional boost) with some avocado, salsa and Greek yogurt, and you’ve got a contender for Best Breakfast award!
What’s more, you can whip these tortillas up in less than 30 minutes. Or, prep ahead and freeze a batch of them, so you can just zap in the microwave on your way out the door. Voilà! The perfect grab-and-go meal. And while these burritos make a delicious start to your day, we think they’re equally awesome as a light lunch or dinner. Try them, and you’ll be hooked!
Shrimp and Egg Breakfast Burritos
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 6 eggs
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 4 (10-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ¼ cup prepared salsa, plus more for topping, if desired
- 1 avocado, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, optional
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place shrimp in pan, and sprinkle with cumin and a dash of salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until cooked through and pink in color. Remove shrimp; set aside.
- Add remaining ½ teaspoon olive oil to same pan. Add onion and green bell pepper to pan; cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Whisk eggs and turmeric in a bowl. Add eggs to pan with vegetables and sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper; whisk to mix eggs and vegetables in pan. Cook until eggs are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- While eggs are cooking, lightly toast tortillas in microwave or toaster until warmed. Mix yogurt and salsa in a small bowl. Top each tortilla with the salsa-yogurt mixture, then top with eggs, shrimp and avocado. Fold burrito-style and serve with hot sauce or more salsa, if desired.
To make ahead and freeze: Make shrimp and eggs per instructions above. Let cool, then assemble burritos without the yogurt and salsa mixture. Roll burrito-style and wrap individually in foil. Freeze burritos in a single layer on a baking sheet. Once frozen, store burritos in a large freezer-sized baggie, label with the date, remove excess air and seal. When ready to eat, remove from foil, place on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 2 to 4 minutes, flipping halfway, until burrito is warmed through. Burritos will keep in the freezer up to 3 months.
Sauté pan, whisk or fork, plate or bowl (to hold cooked shrimp), 2 small mixing bowls.