It’s been a fabulous month of summery seafood meals and vacation-inspired fare! So, we thought we’d end July on a high note and give you one more taste of paradise. Introducing our newest recipe, Caribbean Shrimp with Tropical Fruit! It’s a little bit spicy, a little bit sweet, and oh-so-good! With its exotic flavor profile and festive presentation, this islands-inspired dish is sure to impress at your next dinner party!
This recipe calls for jerk seasoning, a Jamaican spice mix commonly used on grilled meats. If you can’t find it in your store, it’s easy to make your own! This complex blend can include as many as 15 ingredients, ranging from hot to sweet. Recipes vary, but jerk seasoning can pack a punch! Try it before making the marinade, so you can adjust the amount to your preference. The heat in this dish is nicely balanced by the sweetness and acidity of the honey, lime juice and fruit.
In addition to its mouthwatering Caribbean taste, this shrimp dish gets high marks for nutrition. Low in calories and rich in protein and other essential nutrients, shrimp is a smart choice for your next meal!
Once the fruit is prepped and the shrimp have marinated, this dish takes just a few minutes to finish. After the shrimp get a quick sauté, the pineapple, mango and kiwi are cooked with red onion until just softened. Serve with a salad and coconut brown rice for a complete Caribbean feast!
Caribbean Shrimp with Tropical Fruit
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1½ pounds (about 24) uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, tails on, deveined
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil, divided
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (from about ¼ of lime), divided
- 1 medium pineapple, cut in half* or quarters, cored and fruit cut out, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 1 medium mango, peeled and diced
- 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup toasted coconut flakes (optional)
- 3 fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- Combine shrimp, 2 tablespoons oil, jerk seasoning, ginger, honey and 2 teaspoons lime juice in a large baggie. Seal and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While shrimp is marinating, prepare fruit and heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Season the shrimp with light salt and pepper. Add shrimp to pan and cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes each side or until cooked through, flipping halfway through.
- Spoon out shrimp and place in center of a serving platter.
- Return pan to heat and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1 teaspoon lime juice, pineapple, mango, kiwi and red onion to pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until fruit is softened. Add fruit to serving platter, around outside of shrimp.
- Serve with coconut brown rice or mixed salad greens and top with toasted coconut flakes and mint, if desired.
*To serve shrimp and fruit in pineapple shell: Halve pineapple; core and cut out fruit. Turn onto paper towels to drain. Stuff cooked shrimp and fruit into pineapple shells.
Large baggie, large sauté pan, spoon, serving platter.
Coconut brown rice or mixed salad greens.