Hey, Seafoodies! Have you had a chance to check out our new e-cookbook: “Everyday Seafood Recipes: 53 Quick and Easy Dishes” Included is a brand-new recipe for Instant Pot Crab Mac ‘N Cheese. This 3-cheese mac is pescatarian-friendly, made with whole-grain pasta, flavored with Old Bay and loaded with crabmeat. Plus, it comes together effortlessly in the Instant Pot! Yes, this recipe is a little more indulgent, but mac ‘n cheese has kept its place as a time-honored family favorite for good reason. It’s cravable, and we think this recipe is a great way to introduce crab to your little seafoodies.
Crab meat is rich in important nutrients, like phosphorus and omega-3 fatty acids—both of which help promote strong bones and healthy cholesterol levels and reduce inflammation.
We hope you enjoy every savory, cheesy bite.Print
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup medium onion, chopped
- 1-pound whole-grain pasta (Elbows or Cavatappi)
- 4 cups water
- 2–3 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3–4 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- ½ cup fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup Parmesan
- ¼ cup milk (suggest using 2% milk)
- ½ pound lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- Toasted panko (optional)
- Add olive oil and onion to Instant Pot and turn pot to sauté setting. Stir and cook until the onion is tender, about 3 minutes.
- Turn off sauté function. Add pasta and next 6 ingredients on list (from water through Old Bay seasoning) to Instant Pot. Place lid on Instant Pot and switch steam release handle position on lid from venting to sealing; select manual function on pot and cook contents on high for 5 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, shred all the cheeses using a grater or food processor. (Can use pre-shredded cheeses, but they will not melt as smoothly because they contain an anti-caking agent.)
- When pasta has finished cooking, release pressure in Instant Pot using quick pressure release switch (turn to venting position). Add milk to pot and stir it in with the pasta. Then slowly fold in the cheeses up to 1 cup at a time, making sure the pasta mixture remains creamy between each addition.
- Add crabmeat to pot, replace lid on pot and allow mac ’n’ cheese to warm up for 2-3 minutes; then stir. Top with hot sauce and toasted panko, if desired.
- Category: Crab