Are you hungry, Seafoodies?
Chilly nights call for seafood meals that nourish your mind, body and soul. If you haven’t tried our popular Seafood Supper Club recipe for Instant Pot Shrimp and Cheesy-Chive Grits, pull up a chair. When it comes to comfort food, it doesn’t get much cozier than creamy grits! And when they’re topped with tender shrimp in a scrumptiously seasoned gravy, you’ve got a Southern classic that’s downright delicious! We’ll take you through this easy recipe, step by step, so you can enjoy this Lowcountry favorite at home.
Even better, we lightened up the traditional shrimp and grits recipe to bring you a more health-conscious dish that emphasizes slow-simmered flavor. And since the star of this recipe—shrimp—is naturally low in fat and rich in protein, selenium and other nutrients, you can devour this decadent-tasting dish while knowing it’s actually good for you, too. Both your taste buds and waistline will thank you!
So, what’s the “secret sauce” in this recipe? The Instant Pot! It cooks seafood flawlessly, making dinner virtually foolproof. Plus, you can prepare the grits and gravy in the Instant Pot simultaneously, which is a real time-saver. It’s like waving a magic wand: Just prep, cover and serve!
Our other secret sauce—the gravy—is a tomato-y blend of sautéed veggies, Old Bay, lemon, Tabasco and a dash of half-and-half. These complex components meld beautifully in the Instant Pot, making this gravy the perfect foil for the grits, which are stirred with chives and velvety goat cheese (or cheddar, if you prefer) right before serving.
We hate to brag, Seafoodies, but this shrimp and grits dish got raves from all our taste-testers. This recipe is a must-try!Print
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth (or ¼ cup broth + ¼ cup white wine)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup stone-ground grits
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 ounces goat cheese (or, if you prefer, shredded cheddar also works well)
- 2 tablespoons. fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ cup fat-free half-and-half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, toss shrimp and Old Bay seasoning together; set aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté function. Add olive oil to Instant Pot, then sauté onion, garlic and bell pepper until tender and translucent (about 6 to 7 minutes). Turn off sauté function. Add broth or broth/wine mixture and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) to Instant Pot to make gravy; stir until well combined. Insert trivet on top of gravy ingredients.
- In a medium glass bowl that will cook the grits inside the Instant Pot, mix grits together with water and low-fat milk; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place glass bowl on trivet inside Instant Pot. Put IP lid on and set on Manual (H) for 15 minutes.
- Allow IP to release manually; open IP and carefully remove hot bowl and trivet. (Pro tip: make a “foil sling” or use heat-resistant silicone bands to make it easier to remove the bowl.) Set aside grits bowl. Add shrimp and half-and-half to Instant Pot; bury shrimp with the gravy and let shrimp cook in the hot gravy for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked.
- In grits bowl, stir in butter, goat cheese and chives.
- To serve, spoon grits into bowls and top with shrimp and gravy.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Shrimp