Here at the Dish on Fish, it’s no secret that we’re shrimp enthusiasts! Steamed or sautéed, hot off the barbie or fresh from the oven, shrimp always hits the trifecta for taste, nutrition and convenience. And since we just celebrated National Shrimp Day earlier this month, we’re excited to unveil a brand-new shrimp recipe that earned our testers’ highest marks: Mediterranean Baked Shrimp with Whipped Feta. Talk about foolproof: Just bake some shrimp and aromatic veggies in the oven, mix up a creamy topping and combine! With its intoxicating aroma, vivacious colors and a decidedly Mediterranean vibe, this stunning dish will always be a welcome addition to your table—for family weeknight dinners, late-spring dinner parties and everything in between!
There’s lots to love about shrimp. It’s low in fat and has about 12 grams of protein in each 3-ounce serving. It also offers heart-healthy omega-3s and other essential nutrients. For instance, shrimp is one of the best sources of iodine—a mineral many of us are deficient in—which helps to maintain brain health and thyroid function. Shrimp is one of the “chameleon” types of seafood that can adapt to whatever flavor profile you dish out. And it’s extremely quick to thaw and cook. So, we always advise keeping a spare bag of shrimp in the freezer: You’ll be grateful when the inevitable kitchen emergency comes up!
Our new recipe was designed to showcase the best of the Mediterranean Diet! Perfectly cooked shrimp is the undisputed star here—you’ll want to bake it until it’s just springy to the touch. An inviting mélange of bright tomatoes, red and yellow bell peppers and bold seasonings provide the Mediterranean base for this dish. The pièce-de-résistance? A flourish of low-fat whipped feta and chopped basil added right before serving. This delectable shrimp pairs nicely with brown rice or whole-grain pasta for a nourishing entrée. Or with toasted baguette slices, it’s an appealing tapa that’s sized to share. Either way, you’ve just got to try it!
Mediterranean Baked Shrimp with Whipped Feta
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 4 ounces block feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ounce crème fraîche or Greek cream cheese
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place feta cheese in food processor and process on low to break up feta slightly. Add yogurt and crème fraîche or cream cheese; process on high until creamy and well blended, scraping sides, about 3 to 5 minutes. Put in a bowl, cover and refrigerate while making shrimp.
- In a baking dish, combine tomatoes, bell peppers, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, crushed red pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil; stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 15 minutes, or until tomatoes bubble.
- Distribute shrimp evenly on top of tomato mixture. Return dish to oven and bake for another 6 to 8 minutes, or until shrimp are opaque and cooked through. Let cool slightly.
- Top with whipped feta mixture in center of dish, drizzle with remaining olive oil and top with fresh basil. Serve with whole grain pasta, brown rice or a baguette.
Food processor or blender, bowl, plastic wrap or bowl cover, baking dish