If you’ve got a craving for a light and crispy seafood appetizer, we’ve got the perfect recipe for you. Shrimp lovers can feel good about eating this easy and quick Asian-inspired shrimp tempura. (And you can enjoy this tempura guilt-free, thanks to the air fryer!)
Not only is this dish a fun addition for your next get-together, shrimp is packed with protein, low in calories and provides more than 20 vitamins and minerals! A 3-ounce serving of shrimp delivers nearly 20 grams of protein and contains only 85 calories! Plus, shrimp delivers omega-3s and selenium, both of which boost heart health and help to reduce chronic inflammation.
It’s true that fried foods tend to be higher in saturated fat and calories (and messy to cook at home). Not so with an air fryer. Traditional frying requires submerging food into hot oil, which ups the calories and fat. While the air fryer browns and makes foods crispy with minimal oil.
So if you’ve been itching to use your fancy new kitchen gadget, it’s time to whip out your apron. These golden-brown, crispy air-fried shrimp are a healthy and flavorful alternative to deep-fried seafood. Blink and these crunchy bite-sized treats will be gone within minutes! Confession: It was lunchtime when we tested this recipe and we devoured them in minutes!
Air Fryer Tempura Shrimp
Suggested cooking tools: Air Fryer, 2 mixing bowls
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined (thawed, if using frozen)
- 1 Tbsp. light olive oil
- 1 whole egg, mixed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Flour, 2:1 ratio
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, egg white, garlic and garlic powder. Place Parmesan cheese and flour in another medium bowl. Place shrimp in oil and egg white mixture; toss until coated. Once coated, place shrimp in the bowl with parmesan cheese and flour; toss until fully coated.
- Lightly spray fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Place shrimp in basket and insert into air fryer. Cook for 7-9 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through. (May have to cook in batches, depending on air fryer size.) Serve with lemon slices and your favorite Asian-style condiment or sauce. Garnish with parsley (optional). Makes 2-4 servings.