It’s time for another 2020 recipe reveal and this time we are serving up a breakfast recipe made easy. We created this recipe with summer weekends in mind.
Our new Crab Frittata Squares are easy to make, pack and eat. Whether you prefer a breakfast on the go or with the kiddos around the kitchen table, these crab frittata squares can be made (or meal prepped) ahead of time or whipped up the morning of with minimal effort.
Protein-rich crab is a tasty and energizing way to start the day. Rich in vitamins B-12 and folate, zinc, calcium and potassium, crab is a lean protein that will keep you feeling satisfied until your next meal.
This cheesy frittata is filled with nourishing crabmeat, red pepper and kale. The sprinkle of panko breadcrumbs on the bottom of the pan adds a nice crunch to the dish. Plus, this recipe reheats well if you want to make it the day before.
Crab Frittata Squares
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Total time: 45-50 minutes
Suggested cooking tools: 9” x 9” baking pan, oil or nonstick spray for pan, medium bowl, whisk, cutting board, knife, foil
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
- 8 eggs
- 6 oz. milk
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 8 oz. pasteurized lump crabmeat
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce for garnish (optional)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 10” x 10” baking pan with non-stick spray. Sprinkle panko onto bottom of pan. In medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oregano. Mix in bell pepper, kale, and ¼ cup cheese to bowl; stir until mixed well. Gently fold crab into the mixture Add salt and pepper, to taste. Pour frittata mixture into prepared baking pan. Top with remaining 2 tbsp. cheese.
- Bake mixture for 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs set. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting frittata into squares. Drizzle hot sauce on top before serving. The squares can be refrigerated for up to four days; or frozen for up to one month.
Serve with whole-wheat toast and fresh berries for a complete breakfast, lunch or dinner!