Fall’s almost here! As we gradually migrate dinner prep from the grill back into the kitchen, we’re craving some low-maintenance comfort food. How about a cheesy seafood pasta? Our brand-new recipe, Creamy Crab and Kale Lasagna, checks all the boxes on our weeknight wish list: easy prep, hands-off cooking and off-the-charts taste. In just 10 minutes, this delectable dish is ready to be popped in the oven, and your work is done. Savor the intoxicating aroma as you help with homework, go for a walk or put your feet up and enjoy a glass of wine!
We love when a staple like lasagna can be recreated to include seafood. This seafood lasagna features delicate crab, three cheeses and a Béchamel-inspired sauce. But relax, Seafoodies: This utterly craveable crab dish only tastes indulgent! Olive oil and milk take the place of butter and cream; aromatics and red pepper flakes lend rich depth of flavor, and the ingredient combo serves to complement the mild crab rather than overwhelm it. We also use nutrient-rich kale, a super-green that can take the heat without watering things down. In a word, this lasagna is crabulous!
Crab is definitely a type of seafood that is ingredient-friendly. But it’s also low in fat and in protein, B vitamins and important minerals like selenium and zinc. Pair it with some kale — which provides antioxidants like beta carotene and vitamin C, as well as plenty of fiber — and you’ve got a delicious and satisfying dish.
This lasagna is a dream to prepare, and comes together in a snap when you use oven-ready lasagna noodles. Just whip up a white sauce, fold luscious lump crabmeat into the creamy ricotta-Parmesan-kale filling, and layer with noodles and shredded mozzarella. The hardest part? Waiting for this mouthwatering dish to come out of the oven!
The quick prep earns this recipe a place in our fall weeknight rotation, and its sophisticated taste makes it a serious contender for a stress-free date night or dinner party, too. You can even bake this the day before serving: Just cover with aluminum foil, refrigerate and reheat (covered) for 30 minutes at 350 F degrees. Enjoy!Print
- 1½ pounds lump crabmeat, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 15 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 bunch baby kale, chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles (or cook according to instructions)
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a pan; cook about 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Stir in flour; cook and whisk until the mixture starts to thicken and bubble. Gradually add in milk, broth, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling; whisk and set sauce aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, egg, kale and red pepper flakes. Fold in crabmeat; mix gently to combine.
- Spray a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Spread ½ cup sauce on bottom of baking dish. Layer with 4 noodles, 1/3 cup ricotta mixture, ¼ of the mozzarella cheese and ½ cup sauce. Repeat layers twice, starting with noodles, followed by ricotta mixture and then sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and parsley, if desired.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Recommended utensils; Sauté pan, mixing bowl, foil, cutting board, knife
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 70
- Category: Crab