It’s seafood soup season! With National Lobster Day coming up on September 25th, we are sharing our new Lobster Bisque recipe! From chowders to bisques, there’s no better way to kick off fall than by the spoonful. The best news is we used our secret weapon—the Instant Pot! This go-to gadget is a favorite for busy weeknights and we’ll tell you why.
The Instant Pot provides a depth of flavor that makes the bisque taste like it was slow cooked for hours. But our Instant Pot Lobster Bisque takes just 10 minutes to prep and then about an hour in the IP! We used frozen lobster (keeping frozen seafood in the house means there is always a healthy protein choice for dinner), but feel free to use fresh lobster. Aside from its delectable taste, lobster is lean and packed with nutrients, like protein, selenium, calcium, iron and vitamins A, B-12 and E. It’s especially important for providing heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which help to promote healthy skin, support brain and eye health and may even boost your mood.
So with taste and nutrition in mind, grab your Instant Pot and get ready to enjoy our lobster bisque by the spoonful. Make sure to reserve some lobster meat to garnish!
Instant Pot Lobster Bisque
Prep time: 10 minutes
Instant Pot cook-and-release time: varies
Total time: 45 – 60 minutes
Suggested cooking tools: Instant Pot, cutting board, knife, immersion blender (or standing blender)
- 2-3 tsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 24 oz. low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 12 oz. frozen lobster meat (reserve ½ cup for garnish)
- ½ cup half-and-half or fat-free half-and-half (for creamier bisque, can use more)
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley and fresh ground black pepper, for garnish (if desired)
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté. Add olive oil and next 6 ingredients (through potato) to pot; sauté, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and their juice to pot; stir to combine. Add broth, seasonings (Old Bay, dried dill, paprika) and frozen lobster to pot; stir to mix. Cover pot, turn steam release handle on lid to venting, set pot to manual function and cook on high for 4 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally. (natural release time could vary depending on pressure cooker)
- Using immersion blender, carefully blend hot soup in Instant Pot to chunky or smooth consistency, as desired. (Can also use standing blender.) Fold in half-and-half. If desired, add salt, to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley and fresh ground black pepper, if desired.
Suggested accompaniment: mixed-greens salad