Looking for a new salmon recipe that checks the box for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner? Let us introduce you to our newest recipe: Salmon-Stuffed Avocado Boats. Featuring two favorite spring ingredients, salmon and avocados, let’s say we didn’t have any trouble finding taste-testers. We think this will become a regular in your recipe rotation as well.
Our Salmon-Stuffed Avocado Boats feature two superfood ingredients that not only taste great together but provide a healthy dose of heart-healthy fat and other beneficial nutrients. Salmon packs a boatload of essential omega-3 fatty acids, which help to boost heart and brain health. In fact, fish is healthful that the Dietary Guidelines recommend eating at least 2-3 servings every week. Also rich in heart-healthy unsaturated fats, avocados also provide over 20 vitamins and minerals—including potassium and folate—which help to reduce the risk of many lifestyle-related health conditions.
This no-fuss salmon recipe is not only packed with nutrients but is also a breeze to make. Let us know what you think!
A quick tip- serve with tortilla chips or carrots for an extra crunch.
Salmon Avocado Boats
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Suggested cooking tools: medium mixing bowl, cutting board, knife, spoon
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. light or olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (can use more, for additional spiciness)
- 2 (5-oz.) cans or pouches salmon, drained and flaked
- 2 avocados
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, for garnish (optional)
- In medium bowl, combine first 8 ingredients (yogurt through cayenne pepper); mix well.
- Add salmon to bowl; mix well.
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise and remove pits. Scoop about 1 Tbsp. of the flesh from each avocado half and add it to salmon mixture; mash well. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Fill each avocado half with ¼ cup of salmon mixture, creating a mound on top of avocado halves. Drizzle with hot sauce, if desired.