We love a cozy evening this time of year! Especially when there is a pot of our Healthy Cod & Corn Chowder on the stove! It’s a stick-to-your-ribs dinner favorite – a seafood soup filled with heart-healthy cod in the starring role; supported by a combination of rich spices like turmeric and red pepper flakes, plus corn and potatoes. Plus, the nutrient-rich white fish creates a thick broth full of essential vitamins and minerals that don’t skimp on flavor.
We chose cod for this chowder because of its mild flavor and flaky bite. Plus, this soup helps you meet the Dietary Guidelines for America recommendations to eat seafood at least twice a week.
Cod is a lean protein—in fact, a 3 oz. portion provides less than 100 calories and more than 18 grams of protein. Additionally, cod is loaded with B vitamins, like vitamin B12 which helps to keep nerve and red blood cells healthy and protect against anemia. From enticing your taste buds to boosting heart health, cod is a great choice anytime so keep some filets in your freezer.
This seafood soup promises to be a family hit – plus it comes together in under an hour. If you have any leftovers, we can attest that it makes a delicious lunch (so you may want to double the recipe)!
Cod and Corn Chowder
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups potatoes, washed well and diced (keep the peel on)
- 1½ pounds cod, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn, thawed
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup skim milk
- Dash of turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and scallion whites. Sauté until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, and cod. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add corn, half-and-half, skim milk, red pepper flakes, and turmeric. Cover and bring to a light simmer.
- Add salt and pepper, as desired. Garnish with scallion greens.