It’s confession time, Seafoodies!
In an ideal world, we’d love to sit down to an Instagram-ready gourmet dinner every night. But let’s get real. There are a ton of other priorities competing for our attention, especially during the holidays. What we really need are quick, uncomplicated meals our families will love so that we can eat well at home. That way, we have satisfying go-to recipes in our arsenal for times when the clock is ticking, stomachs are growling and unhealthy fast-food options are calling!
This new recipe for Easy Italian Baked Fish shows how effortless it can be to put a seafood meal on the table. Just pour, marinade and bake! With only two ingredients and just a few minutes of hands-on kitchen time, this flavorful fish practically makes itself.
If you’ve ever come home to an empty fridge with no idea what to cook, this recipe will inspire you to make the most of staples from your freezer and pantry. It’s smart to stock up on frozen fish like cod so you always have an easy meal on hand. You can thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, or under cold running water if time is short. The bottled Italian salad dressing provides everything you need for a quick marinade—oil, acidity and seasoning—or you can quickly make your own dressing from scratch if you prefer. While the fish is marinating and cooking, steam some rice and vegetables to serve with it for a nutritionally balanced meal.
In addition to being quick to prepare, cod is a seafood superstar! It’s high in protein, low in fat and calories and an excellent source of vitamin B-12, selenium and other important nutrients. This is the kind of fast food you can feel good about serving.
We love this cod for busy weeknights, but it’s so yummy that you just might want to serve this for special occasions! So, what are you waiting for? Ready, set, dinner!
Easy Italian Baked Fish
Recipe courtesy of Kathryn Doherty, Family Food on the Table
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
• 1 1/2 pounds cod fillets (you can substitute mahi mahi or a similar mild white fish)
• 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the cod in a 9-inch by 12-inch (or similarly sized) baking dish. Pour Italian dressing over the fish and allow it to marinate at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the baking dish to the oven and cook the fish for 12 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fillets. (Fish that’s about 1 inch thick will take 16 to 18 minutes; adjust time accordingly for thicker or thinner fillets. When fully cooked, fish should be opaque and flake easily with a fork. If you are using a digital thermometer, the internal temperature should measure 140 to 145 degrees F.)
- Serve hot, with extra pan drippings drizzled over the fish.