This month we’ve cooked up a special Seafood Supper Club recipe for those of you who love crab cakes but avoid gluten. These delicious gluten-free crab cakes are perfect for any occasion and can be paired with a salad or a gluten-free bun for a sandwich. There is also a special ingredient: grated cauliflower! If you follow a gluten-free diet due to Celiac or an intolerance or just out of personal preference, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy many of your favorite seafood dishes. Today we’re sharing a step-by-step recipe for delicious gluten-free crab cakes, perfect for any occasion!
Whether it’s raw, smoked, grilled or baked, seafood is delicious! But did you know it has a starring role in many popular and specialty diets like gluten-free, Mediterranean, Whole30, macro and keto?
Seafood is perfect fit for people with different dietary needs and provides a boatload of benefits:
- It’s naturally gluten-free and pairs perfectly with most vegetables, fruits, grains, beans and legumes.
- Eating it two to three times each week can boost heart and brain health and may even help you live longer.
- It’s a whole food that delivers a lot of protein punch.
- It’s generally lower in calories that other animal proteins, which means you can meet your protein needs with fewer calories.
- It delivers a healthy dose of vitamins A, B and D – plus zinc, iodine, iron, the antioxidant selenium and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, like EPA and DHA.
- It’s a perfect protein for all stages of life from growing toddlers and children to aging adults, and especially important during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.
Our flavorful Gluten-free Crab Cakes combines delicate lump crabmeat with grated cauliflower, gluten-free panko, sweet onion, mayo, Dijon mustard and herbs—creating a crispy cake packed with all the “bite” and none of the gluten.
Roll up your sleeves and get ready to cook along with us as we show you how to prepare one of our favorite seafood recipes. So grab your sauté pan and a bowl to whip up this month’s scrumptious seafood supper club dish, gluten-free crab cakes!
Gluten-Free Crab Cakes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ½ cup sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb. canned lump crabmeat
- 1½ cups finely grated cauliflower
- 1 cup gluten-free panko or gluten-free flour of choice (almond, chickpea and premade GF flour mixes work well)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp. light or olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- Fresh lemon wedges, for garnish
- Gluten-free tartar sauce, if desired
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic; sauté another minute more. Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- While onion and garlic are cooling, combine crab meat and next 7 ingredients (through dried parsley) in a medium bowl. Add in cooked onion and garlic. Mix until well-combined; form into 8 patties and put on a baking dish. Cover with wax paper or foil or waxed paper; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Return pan to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Cook patties in single layer (may have to make in batches) over medium heat about 5-6 minutes per side, until crab and cauliflower cooked and patties are browned. Serve with lemon wedges and favorite gluten-free tartar sauce. Makes 8 crab cakes.