If you’re ready to kick up your heels and celebrate the holiday season, we’re right there with you! And we’ve got the perfect app to help you do it: our fantastic, homemade wonton cups stuffed with crab salad. These crispy, star-shaped bites are just the thing to enjoy with a glass of sparkling wine and your holiday playlist. Or, add them to your buffet for a little extra crackle and pop! Let’s get this party started, shall we?
The recipe starts with lump crabmeat, mixed with a little mayo, lemon, green onion and seasoning to play off its sweetness. The impressive vehicles for this luscious crab filling — the wonton cups — look intimidating but can be easily made through some muffin-tin sleight-of-hand: Simply mold, layer and bake. You can prepare both the cups and filling up to a day ahead, so all you need to do at the last minute is fill the wontons and get out your best holiday platter. It doesn’t get more party-friendly than that!
And, don’t feel guilty if you sneak one for yourself. This recipe is full of flavor and healthy to boot! We use the lightest of dressings for the crab and baked wontons instead of fried to keep the calorie count down. What’s more, mild crab has more than 20 grams of protein per cup and is packed with nutrients like vitamin B12, selenium and zinc. This makes it a holiday (and everyday!) superfood as well as a smart alternative to the heavier fare often served this time of year.
These crab-stuffed wontons are elegant enough to serve at your fanciest gala, but easy enough to whip up anytime the mood strikes. If we had to pick one word to describe them, we’d have to go with “Awesome!” What more could you want for holiday entertaining?
Crab Salad Stuffed Wonton Cups
Recipe created in partnership with The Wholesome Dish
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, picked through to remove any shells
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Lay one wonton wrapper on a flat surface. Place a second wonton wrapper on top of it, staggering the corners of the two wrappers so the result looks like an 8-sided star. Push the combined wonton wrappers into a cup in the muffin tin. Repeat with the remaining wrappers. Spray the tops of the wonton wrappers with more cooking spray.
- Bake the unfilled wonton cups for 10 minutes. Cool completely. Store the unfilled cups in a sealed container at room temperature for up to one day, until ready to serve.
- To prepare the crab salad, mix together in a medium bowl the mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, black pepper and dill. Whisk until well combined. Add the crabmeat and green onion and stir gently. Store the crab salad in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to serve (store for up to one day maximum).
- To serve, fill the wonton cups with the crab salad.