You know us: We’re always on the hunt for creative seafood snacks! So, we’re thrilled to share a new recipe we bet you’re going to love: Spicy Tuna on Crispy Rice Roll. One word for you: versatile. Seriously, this easy tuna recipe is the solution to all your summer-eats dilemmas! With just a few staples you probably already have on hand, you can whip up your new favorite warm-weather lunch, post-pool nosh or impromptu bite. Plus, you could be enjoying these crispy rice rolls in just 25 minutes!
Seafoodies, it’s time to raid the pantry! We start with budget-friendly canned tuna. Add some lemon and sriracha mayo, and you’ve got a spicy tuna salad like no other! Homemade brown-rice crisps provide the satisfying crunch you crave, without all the added fat and sodium of chips (which also makes this a kid-friendly snack). We like to top these rolls with some chopped cucumber and avocado or a sprinkling of sesame seeds, but you can improvise the garnish or omit it entirely. They’re delicious either way!
Besides the fabulous taste and easy prep, we love that these rolls keep our energy up and our midday cravings in check. Tuna provides protein, heart-healthy omega-3s and essential nutrients like vitamins B-12 and D, making it a smart choice when you’re fueling up for summer activities. Plus, if you’re trying to stay (or get) in shape for swimsuit season, incorporating some low-calorie tuna into your meal plan will help you stay on track!
Spicy Tuna on Crispy Rice Rolls
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Makes 8-10 rolls
- 1 cup cooked short-grain brown rice, cooled (we used microwave rice, but leftover rice also works well)
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons olive, sesame or avocado oil, divided
- 1 (5-ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1 teaspoon light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sriracha (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup cucumber, finely chopped (optional)
- ¼ avocado, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black and/or white sesame seeds (optional)
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine rice vinegar, sugar and salt; mix well and heat for 30-45 seconds until sugar is dissolved. Then add rice and mix well. Let cool. (Rice should get stickier as it cools.)
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat with 2-3 tablespoons oil (oil should cover bottom of entire pan). With wet hands, form rice into small discs. (Should make about 8-10 discs, depending on size.) Carefully add rice discs to pan; turn down heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Flip gently using a spatula or tongs. Add 1-2 more tablespoons of oil, if needed. Cook in batches if need to avoid overcrowding (rice discs will stick to each other if too close). When shaped rice is crispy and golden, remove from pan and place on metal cooling rack.
- While rice discs are cooling, prepare tuna and toppings. Add tuna pouch to a medium bowl and flake. Then add mayo, sriracha, lemon juice, salt and pepper; mix well until combined. Top cooled shaped rice with tuna mixture, then with chopped cucumber and/or avocado, if desired. Drizzle with a little sriracha and sesame seeds on top, if desired.
Skillet, tongs or spatula, 2 medium mixing bowls, cutting board, knife, cooling rack