We love to grill seafood all summer long … and we’ve had some requests for a halibut recipe. Since some of you may not have made halibut at home, we’ve created a new 20-minute Dish on Fish recipe—Grilled Halibut with Walnut Pesto. It’s chock-full of superfoods and so tasty that your family will ask for it to be on the summer dinner rotation. And we know you are going to love how quickly this meal comes together. Fire up the grill, and you’ll be enjoying some nutritious halibut in no time!
We’re featuring mild halibut in this recipe, but you can substitute any firm-fleshed white fish. All it needs is a light seasoning and spritz of olive oil before hitting the grill. Easy-peasy. While the fish is cooking, throw the pesto ingredients in a blender and you’re good to go!
Low in fat and calories, halibut is a lean protein that keeps you feeling satisfied. It’s also a rich source of omega-3s, selenium, potassium, vitamin D and B vitamins. Working some white fish like halibut into your diet is a great way to get the 2 to 3 servings of seafood per week recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
Pesto has been one of our longtime warm-weather faves because it requires no cooking and packs a ton of flavor. Our amped-up take on the classic basil-pine nut version swaps in two superfoods for a nutritional boost. Arugula lends a peppery crunch (and some beta-carotene) while the walnuts provide vitamin B6 and magnesium. Couple all that with some brain- and mood-boosting halibut, and you’ve got a delicious, nourishing meal. This pesto is a bright, summery green sauce that you’ll want to try on seafood dishes all season long!
We highly recommend serving this zesty halibut with whole wheat angel hair pasta and a simple salad. But you do you, Seafoodies: Whatever sides you choose, this fish is a superstar!
Grilled Halibut with Walnut Pesto
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 (6-ounce) halibut or other firm white fish fillets
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups tightly packed baby arugula
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil
- ½ cup walnut halves or pieces
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Prepare halibut by placing on a plate, drizzling with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. When grill is ready, place halibut on grill; cook for 4 minutes on each side or until fish is cooked through and flakes easily.
- While fish is cooking, make pesto. Place remaining 1/3 cup olive oil and next 7 ingredients (arugula through lemon juice) in a food processor or blender. Blend on high until pesto is well-processed and reaches desired consistency. Serve on top of grilled halibut.
Grill, plate, spatula, food processor or blender