On a January day, we can’t think of a more welcome addition to our table than a seafood dish from sunny Spain: seafood paella! If you ever wanted to learn how to make paella at home, our easy recipe will have you wondering why you waited so long! With just a few ingredients you might already have in your freezer or pantry—frozen seafood and peas, canned clams and tomatoes, plus a few kitchen staples—you can whip up this festive seafood feast any night of the week. If you haven’t already been convinced to keep frozen and shelf-stable seafood on hand, here’s some incredibly tasty inspiration to start stocking up!
Traditionally, paella is prepared over an open fire in a wide, shallow pan, but you can easily recreate the complex flavors on your stovetop with a Dutch oven. Sautéed aromatic vegetables and saffron lend a wonderful aroma to this golden-hued dish, which is brimming with shrimp, white fish and clams and studded with sweet green peas and stewed tomatoes. Serve this colorful meal family-style, and you’ve got an absolute showstopper!
What’s more, all the healthy seafood in this paella gives you the protein, omega-3s and other essential nutrients you need to stay healthy, strong and mentally sharp. We swapped in brown rice to up the nutritional value, and if you use vegetable or seafood broth, this dish is perfectly pescatarian, too!
Another benefit of this Mediterranean-style recipe? Minimal hands-on time! While the paella simmers, you can pop some crusty bread in the oven and toss a green salad together. Or just relax, knowing you’ll be serving a mouthwatering meal that’s sure to become a family favorite.Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken, vegetable or seafood broth
- Pinch of saffron
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound white fish, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (6.5 oz.) can of clams, minced, undrained
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced or stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen sweet green peas, thawed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a paella pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until onion is starting to turn translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook about 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth and saffron; add rice and stir until rice is in an even layer in the pot. Bring to a boil, then turn to medium heat and let cook until about half of liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add shrimp, fish, clams, clam juice and tomatoes and nestle under rice. Cook until seafood is cooked through and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add peas to top and let stand for 5 minutes, or until remaining liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
Suggested cooking tools; Paella pan or Dutch oven
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 50
Part of our mission at Dish on Fish is to inspire you with delicious ideas for how to eat more fish. Join us as we share more benefits of eating seafood, as well as tips, tricks and recipes. In the meantime, download the Dish on Fish free e-cookbook – and start planning the next three seafood meals to enjoy this week!