Meet National Pescatarian Month’s breakfast hero! We are talking about our new Cheesy Shrimp Breakfast Casserole featured in “Everyday Seafood Recipes: 53 Quick and Easy Dishes”.
A pescatarian diet is a healthy way to grab the day by the tail–especially with something as filling and easy as this casserole. Many breakfast casseroles include bread and milk, but you won’t miss them in this lightened-up creation. This dish comes together so quickly by layering sautéed kale, onions, mushrooms and peppers in a 9 x 13 pan; pour in whisked eggs and seasonings; and then top with raw shrimp and reduced-fat Swiss cheese. It can be prepped the night before and popped in the oven in the morning.
Plus, shrimp is an excellent source of lean protein–with 12g of protein in just three ounces. So, start your day with this filling and nutritious protein-rich meal.
Our casserole has 12 light and healthy servings. Make it for the family and enjoy another piece tomorrow morning!Print
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 10 ounces mushrooms, finely diced
- 2–3 cups kale, finely chopped
- 12 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, diced or shredded
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, paprika, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes; set aside.
- Place a skillet on medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant. Add bell pepper, mushrooms and kale and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Lightly coat a 9” x 13” casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread the vegetable mixture evenly in dish. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Top evenly with shrimp; then sprinkle shredded Swiss cheese over entire dish.
- Bake casserole for 40-45 minutes. Insert knife into center of casserole; if it comes out clean, the casserole is set. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Cut into individual squares and serve.
*To prepare this breakfast dish ahead of time: Cook and assemble according to directions. Cover casserole dish with foil and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, preheat the oven to 375°F, bake casserole for 40-45 minutes and serve as directed above.
- Category: Shrimp
Keywords: Shrimp, Shrimp Recipe, Seafood Breakfast, Cheesy Shrimp Breakfast Casserole