We’re checking in to see how everyone is doing. If you’re starting to feel like you’re on a food show challenge where you have to make something tasty from only your pantry staples, we’ve got you covered! Today we are making No-Fuss Lemon-Pepper Salmon Burgers from canned or pouched salmon. And we promise you… these are anything but boring.
Flavored “shelf-stable” salmon—and tuna,too—are great to keep on hand because they make it easy to whip up a delicious and nutritious dish. Our new recipe started because we picked up some flavored salmon during our grocery run, and we wanted to share how easy this is for a weeknight dinner.
For this recipe, we used lemon pepper-flavored salmon. Then, we added a little mayo, Dijon mustard, dried dill weed and a little kick of cayenne pepper. Pat a little panko on the outside of these patties and you’ll have a crunch salmon burger even your littlest Seafoodies will love.
And, you’ll feel good serving this dish to your little Seafoodies because salmon is loaded with important nutrients, like brain-building and immune-boosting omega-3s. Plus, this meal will help you and your mini-Seafoodies eat one of the recommended 2-3 seafood meals each week.
No Fuss Lemon-Pepper Salmon Burgers… fast, flavorful and approved by challenging eaters!
Lemon-Pepper Salmon Burgers
Prep time: 5 minutes
Chill time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Suggested cooking tools: medium mixing bowl, sauté pan, plate, parchment paper, foil
- 4 (2.5 oz.) pouches lemon-pepper salmon
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko plus 1 tbsp. panko (use gluten-free panko for GF salmon burgers)
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp. dried dill weed
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for sautéing
- Mix all ingredients – except the 1 tbsp. panko and the olive oil for sautéing – in a medium bowl until well combined. Form mixture into 4 equal-sized salmon burger patties and place patties on plate lined with parchment paper. Top the patties with half of the reserved panko (1/2 tbsp.), cover them with foil and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in sauté pan over medium heat. Place salmon burger patties, panko side down, in pan. Sprinkle the remaining ½ tbsp. reserved panko evenly over patties. Sauté patties for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until they’re golden.
Suggested accompaniment: whole-wheat buns or mixed spring greens