Are you craving a savory seafood bite? Looking for an easy and appetizing way to start the day? Well, c’mon into the kitchen because we’ve got a brand-new-for-’22 Dish on Fish recipe that’s sure to satisfy! Check out our super-easy Shrimp and Avocado Toast. In just 15 minutes, you could be sharing this simple, indulgent and addictive dish with another lucky Seafoodie (or savoring it all by yourself!).
Avocado toast lovers, trust us: You haven’t lived until you’ve tasted seafood avocado toast! Whole-grain bread and cumin-laced avocado provide the creamy-crunchy foundation you know and love. But it’s the quick-cooking shrimp, sautéed with lime and just the right amount of spice, that makes an amazing thing even better! You can up the heat quotient by drizzling with a little hot sauce for extra bite.
Topping your toast with easy-to-cook shrimp gives you plenty of protein, selenium and vitamin B-12, which help you stay full longer, protect heart and brain health, and boost your mood and memory. Combined with the heart-healthy monounsaturated fat found in avocado, you’ve got a nutritional all-star of a breakfast, app or afternoon slump-stopper of a snack. With such an easy recipe in your back pocket, we bet you’ll find all sorts of ways to enjoy this!
P.S. Not to brag, but seafood and avocado have great chemistry in the kitchen! If you love this classic pairing as much as we do, be sure to try our Salmon-Stuffed Avocado Boats and Grilled Cod and Avocado Tacos.
Simple Shrimp and Avocado Toast
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ½ lime, juiced, divided
- ½ pound medium shrimp, deveined
- ½ large avocado
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 slices 100% whole grain or whole grain gluten-free bread
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- Dash of coarse sea or kosher salt
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic, paprika, ½ teaspoon black pepper and half of lime juice; cook for 1 minute and then increase heat to medium-high. Add shrimp to skillet in a single layer. Sauté until golden (about 2 to 3 minutes), then flip and cook on other side for 2 more minutes, until shrimp is cooked through.
- While shrimp is cooking, mash avocado in a bowl with cumin and remaining lime juice and black pepper until it reaches desired consistency.
- Lightly toast or broil bread. Top with mashed avocado, sauteed shrimp and red onion slices, and sprinkle lightly with a little salt. Drizzle with hot sauce, if desired.
Skillet, spatula, bowl, fork, cutting board, knife
Chris DavidApril 12, 2022 at 1:43 am
Great recipe and really a nice one. Will surely try this