Hello again, Seafoodies!
What’s for dinner tonight? Glad you asked! It’s a family-style Mediterranean Tuna Pasta. Featuring plenty of pantry staples – with canned or pouched tuna being the star of this dish – this original Dish on Fish recipe will give you a taste of the Mediterranean at home. We’ve combined tuna, whole wheat pasta, olives, capers, feta, basil and lemon, and the result is bright and delicious.
This tuna pasta recipe comes together in a snap, so once the laptops and schoolwork get put away you can have dinner on the table in about 20 minutes. That will leave plenty of time to binge-watch your favorite show tonight or play a round of Zoom trivia with family or friends.
Fish and seafood play a starring role in Mediterranean cooking, which is dietitian approved as a healthy way to eat. Right now, we are all looking for ways to stay healthy. At Dish on Fish, we are getting plenty of rest, exercising (in a social distance kind-of-way) and making sure we’re still eating our 2-3 servings of seafood each week, as recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Not only does eating 2-3 servings of seafood each week help keep us healthy in general, but the nutrients in seafood—like omega-3s and selenium—help boost immunity, especially important right now.
So, let’s cook tonight! And thanks to all of you who are staying home.
Mediterranean Tuna and Pasta
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Suggested cooking tools: pot, colander, small bowl, knife, cutting board, tongs
- 8 oz. whole-wheat spaghetti
- 4 tsp. olive oil, divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- 2 (4 oz.) cans or pouches albacore or light tuna, drained
- 4 oz. feta cheese (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Cook spaghetti in pot according to instructions. Drain spaghetti using colander and set aside.
- While spaghetti is cooking, make dressing: In small bowl, combine 2 tsp. olive oil with the lemon juice and oregano; stir until well combined.
- After removing spaghetti from pot, add 2 tsp. olive oil plus the tomatoes, garlic, olives and capers to the empty pot; cook for about 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Add tuna to pot; cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add spaghetti and dressing to pot. Using tongs, toss everything until well mixed. Garnish with feta and/or basil leaves, if desired.
Suggested accompaniment: sautéed spinach or kale