Here at Dish on Fish, we’re unapologetic matchmakers (and romantic comedy aficionados to boot). When we first met the uber-versatile Instant Pot, we knew right away it was something special. And regular readers of this blog know how we feel about salmon, right? We’re BFFs! So, in true rom-com spirit, we thought we’d pair these two phenoms together and see if they hit it off. Spoiler alert: They lived happily ever after! But don’t take our word for it: Check out one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes, Salmon and Tortellini Soup. It’s an easy, 30-minute meal brimming with tender salmon, stuffed pasta, mixed veggies and slow-simmered flavor!
But we’re getting ahead of ourselves, so let’s rewind the movie a bit. It’s a rainy night. You come home late from work, stare at the empty fridge and wonder how dinner’s ever going to come together. Stress no more, Seafoodies! Did we mention the Instant Pot gives you the option of cooking from frozen? That’s right, no thawing required! (One of the many reasons we should all keep our kitchens well-stocked with frozen seafood.) Just throw the salmon, tortellini and veggies into the pot straight from your freezer. Now, we’re cooking. Hangry crisis averted.
Cut to final scene: A hearty dinner is on the table. Seafoodies, young and old, smile as they savor this delicious, family-friendly dish. As it turns out, it’s good for you, too—packed with satisfying protein, heart-healthy omega-3s and B vitamins. If this soup isn’t a happy marriage of good health, great taste and ultimate convenience, then we’re not sure what is! So, what do you say, Seafoodies? We say, let’s get cooking!
“Shut up,” you’re thinking. “You had us at ‘salmon.’”
Instant Pot Salmon and Tortellini Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 strips bacon, diced
- 12 to 16 ounces frozen boneless salmon
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 10 ounces frozen tortellini
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- 2 to 3 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté and add chopped bacon, onions and garlic to the pot. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Switch Instant Pot off. Add frozen salmon (cut into 3 or 4 pieces if not already portioned), frozen vegetables, frozen tortellini, broth and seasonings to the pot and stir.
- Cover and use the manual (or pressure cook) button to set timer for 6 minutes. Use quick release once finished, flake salmon into chunks with a fork and stir in fresh baby spinach.