Welcome back to the Dish on Fish Seafood Supper Club, Seafoodies!
We first tasted char-grilled oysters at the famous Dragos restaurant in New Orleans, and we were hooked. So much so that we were inspired to create our own version at home. So, without further ado, let’s jump into our cook-along recipe for Char-Grilled Honey Parmesan Oysters. This recipe calls for pantry staples to create a charred, cheesy bubbling platter of oyster goodness. Never worked with oysters in your kitchen? No worries! We will walk you through step-by-step from shucking to grilling to plating.
We will always be fans of freshly shucked oysters, but this seafood small plate is tough competition! Char-grilled Honey Parmesan Oysters tastes indulgent due to the flavor created by the dollop of creamy olive oil mayo, honey and parmesan mixture that tops the oyster before it goes onto a screaming hot grill. The oysters cook in under 10 minutes and you will know they are getting ready to plate when the shells are nicely charred, and the oyster is bubbling. Have the platter and long tongs at the ready.
Need another reason to eat oysters? They are loaded with vitamin D (which helps keep our bones, teeth and muscles healthy), zinc (to boost the immune system by fighting off harmful bacteria and viruses) and iron and copper (which help carry oxygen to our brain and maintain cell health).
If you need an oyster shucking primer, check out this video by our friend Chef Barton Seaver.
So, get ready to shuck, grill and enjoy this truly unique oyster recipe!
Char-grilled Honey Parmesan Oysters
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
- Appetizer servings: 4-6
- Suggested cooking tools: grill, medium mixing bowl, baking sheet, cutting board, shucking tool, spatula, spoon, long tongs, serving tray
- 1 dozen large oysters, shucked with half-shell left on
- ½ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cups Parmesan, shredded
- Lemon wedges for garnish
1. Shuck oysters and keep half shell on each (or have a fishmonger shuck for you). Place oysters (in their half-shells) on baking sheet and keep them refrigerated until ready to use.
2. Prepare honey-cheese topping by mixing all the remaining ingredients in medium bowl; mix well.
3. Remove oysters from the fridge. Top each oyster with a heaping teaspoon of the honey-cheese mixture. Refrigerate oysters again until ready to grill.
4. Preheat grill to high. Place oysters on grill; cook 10 minutes or until oyster shells begin to char and the honey-cheese topping is brown and bubbly.
5. Using tongs, carefully transfer oysters from grill to serving tray. Serve immediately.
Suggested accompaniment: grilled baguette