Don’t you just love cooking outside during the warmer weather? Here’s a brand-new recipe that will inspire you to get your grill on, all summer long: Mediterranean Tuna Skewers! This dish got raves from all our taste testers, and we can’t wait for you to try it.
What’s so fabulous about this recipe? First, it easily meets our top three criteria for weeknight meals: great-tasting, nutritious and simple to prepare. On top of that, it offers all that we love about the Mediterranean Diet—fresh vegetables, lean protein and a healthy drizzle of olive oil. And can we talk about the herb-garlic marinade? It gives this tuna an incredibly rich flavor that will have you arm-wrestling your tablemates for the last skewer!
Tuna is a nutritional powerhouse. Because it’s so rich in protein, vitamins and minerals and relatively low in calories, it’s a smart choice for a post-workout meal, or whenever you’re trying to embrace clean eating. And, tuna is one of our grilling faves because it sears beautifully and tastes equally wonderful at all levels of doneness.
This recipe is an awesome way to get little Seafoodies involved in the kitchen. Skewers are fun, and they offer entry-level pieces of fish to taste. Ask the kiddos to help with the prep, then let them enjoy the fruits of their labor!
We use traditional shish kabob vegetables in this recipe, but you can make substitutions depending on what you have on hand. The possibilities are endless! Serve with whole-wheat couscous for a complete meal. Although it’s highly unlikely you’ll have any leftovers, these skewers make a wonderful next-day lunch, too!Print
- 1½ pounds tuna steak (about 1½-inch thick), cut into about 24 pieces
- ½ cup olive oil, plus more drizzling
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 18 large button mushrooms
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- Lemon wedges, optional
- 12 metal or bamboo skewers (if using bamboo, soak in water for 30 minutes prior to grilling)
- Prepared whole wheat couscous or your other favorite whole grain (optional)
- In a shallow bowl, combine olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper; mix to combine well. Add tuna; cover and let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- While tuna is marinating, wash and prepare veggies. Halve and remove seeds from bell peppers and cut into large chunks. Cut red onion into large chunks. Cut mushrooms in half.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Prepare kebabs by threading each skewer with a tomato, then begin alternating tuna and veggies on the skewers, so that there are about two to three pieces of tuna separated by a few pieces of veggies on each skewer; top with a tomato. Place skewers on a plate; drizzle with marinade.
- Grill about 3 to 5 minutes, or until well-browned on one side. Using tongs, flip and cook on other side, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve with prepared whole wheat couscous or other whole grain and a lemon wedge.
Recommended Utensils; Skewers (metal or bamboo; if bamboo, need a bowl or plastic bag for soaking), shallow bowl, grill or grill pan, plate, tongs
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Tuna