Welcome back to Dish on Fish’s first #SeafoodSupperClub of 2020!
We’re so excited to show you how to pan sea scallops to perfection, and this step-by-step cook-along recipe will give you the confidence to make scallops anytime. Wait until you see seared scallops perching prettily atop this salad with blueberries. It’s like spring on a plate.
This Seared Scallop Salad with Blueberries recipe brings together two ingredients that you may not have thought of—scallops and blueberries! We always love the sweet-and-savory combination of seafood and fruit and this hits all the right notes when combined with fresh greens and simple homemade delicious balsamic vinaigrette dressing featuring pantry ingredients.
We like scallops because when cooked properly they have a beautiful crunch on the outside but are tender and sweet on the inside. Scallops provide a healthy dose of potassium and magnesium, which is beneficial to hearth and brain health. Toss in the blueberries, and you have antioxidants that give a sweet immune-fighting boost. Once you see how easy it is to make scallops at home you will be adding them to pasta and rice dishes regularly. Plus, seared scallops are a tasty way to help you get closer meeting the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommendation of at least 2 to 3 weekly servings of seafood.
Start prepping your produce and break out that skillet and cook along with us as we make this beautiful Seared Scallop with Blueberries Salad.
Seared Scallop Salad with Blueberries
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Suggested cooking tools: sauté pan, Mason jar or bowl for mixing dressing, large bowl for salad, cutting board, knife
Ingredients – Seared Scallop Salad
- 1 – 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 4 cups arugula
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 lb. sea scallops
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients – Vinaigrette Dressing
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Prepare vinaigrette for salad: In Mason jar, combine vinaigrette dressing ingredients; cover jar and shake it until contents are mixed well.
- In large salad bowl, combine mixed greens and arugula. Add onion, radishes and blueberries. Set salad aside.
- If the little side band of the muscle is intact, remove it (it will become rubbery when cooked), Pat scallops dry well with paper towel. This is important for the “sear”; salt and pepper both sides of each scallop (to taste).
- Heat remaining 1-1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil in sauté pan over medium-high heat; when pan is hot, add scallops and cook 2-3 minutes per side, until seared to a caramel color and cooked through.
- Drizzle salad with vinaigrette; toss well until coated. Top salad with the seared scallops.