Hailing from France, croquettes may sound fancy, but our Tuna Croquettes come together in just over 30 minutes! Full of healthy tuna and loaded with flavor, these patties are great for a snack, light meal or even a party.
We love tuna because it is convenient and full of essential nutrients, like protein, B vitamins, selenium and, of course, omega-3s. Omega-3 fatty acids like DHA and EPA lower chronic inflammation in the body, which helps to boost immunity and heart and brain health. In order to meet omega-3 needs, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends eating seafood 2-3 times each week.
Keep some pantry-perfect tuna (either pouched or canned) on hand to whip these up anytime. We added a lemon-pepper dipping sauce for a fresh zing to accompany this tuna recipe. So, let’s make some delicious tuna croquettes. Ooh-la-la!
Tip: Our Tuna Croquettes can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for up to 3 hours before cooking.
Tuna Croquettes with Lemon-Caper Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Refrigeration time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Suggested cooking tools: parchment paper, foil, plate or baking pan, sauté pan, 1 medium mixing bowl, 2 small mixing bowls, whisk, cutting board, knife, spatula
Ingredients – Tuna Croquettes
- ½ cup whole-wheat or all-purpose flour (use gluten-free flour to make GF croquettes)
- 1 cup panko, divided in half (use gluten-free panko to make GF croquettes)
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning or paprika
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2-3 tsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 (5-oz.) pouches or cans albacore tuna, drained well and flaked with a fork
- 2 green onions or scallions, finely chopped
- Optional: ¼ cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
Ingredients – Lemon-Caper Sauce
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3-4 tsp. capers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- In medium bowl, mix the first 8 ingredients listed (flour through mustard, including ½ cup of the panko). Add tuna, green onions and sweet peas (if using); mix well to combine. Divide mixture into 8 oval or round croquette patties and set on plate (or baking pan) lined with parchment paper. Cover plate with foil and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. Note: can make patties ahead of time and refrigerate them for up to 3 hours.
- While croquette patties chill in the fridge, make lemon-caper sauce by mixing remaining ingredients yogurt through garlic – but not the olive oil – in a small bowl; whisk until combined. If sauce needs thinning, add more lemon juice.
- Remove croquette patties from fridge. Heat olive oil in sauté pan over medium heat. While oil is heating, put remaining ½ cup panko into a small mixing bowl and coat all sides of each croquette with the panko.
- Place croquette patties in sauté pan and cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. (Can cook the patties in batches, if necessary.) Allow croquettes to cool for 2-3 minutes before serving. Top with the lemon-caper sauce.
Suggested accompaniments: mixed greens or baby arugula plus halved cherry tomatoes.