Easy, cheesy and sure to please even the pickiest of palates, this tuna melt recipe is your new after-school MVP! Taking only 15 minutes to throw together and using easy store-bought ingredients like the pimento cheese, this savory sandwich makes the perfect quick after-school snack. It also can be a great quick dinner for those busy weeknights packed to the brim with homework and extracurriculars.
You’ll also love that tuna is packed with protein and omega-3s, which will help the kids refuel after a long day at school. The protein will keep them full and focused throughout their after-school sports practices, while the omega-3s will give them the brain boost they need to conquer their studies. That “Parent of the Year” award is headed your way!
Pro-tip: This recipe is simple enough for your older seafoodies to DIY. By taking a few minutes to show them how – and keeping the fridge and pantry stocked with the ingredients – you can rest easy knowing they’re enjoying a balanced after-school snack even when you’re not there to greet them.
As always, we hope you enjoy!Print
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 (5 oz.) cans or pouches of tuna in water
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup prepared pimento cheese spread
- Preheat broiler. Place bread on baking sheet and lightly toast both sides of all slices.
- In medium bowl, prepare tuna salad by combining tuna and the next 6 ingredients (through lemon juice).
- Take two slices of toasted bread. Spread tuna salad mixture onto one slice; spread pimento cheese onto other slice.
- Broil each slice face-up for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and browned slightly.
- Sandwich together the two slices of bread. Cut and serve.
- Repeat process to make three more tuna melt sandwiches.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Tuna
To check out more of our recipe videos, subscribe to the Dish on Fish YouTube channel here.