Are you looking for some fresh recipe inspiration to chase away the winter blahs? Well, we’ve got a seafood pasta guaranteed to make everyone swoon: Tuna Puttanesca! This Italian classic is an aromatic, flavor-forward dish that is pasta-tively amazing and can be ready in minutes. Plus, it’s a low-maintenance pantry meal! So, you can skip the grocery run tonight because you’re likely to have all the makings of a zesty, home-cooked seafood dinner!
You can whisk together the sauce for this gorgeous dish while the pasta is cooking. From the first sizzle of garlic and pepper flakes hitting the pan, the scent will intoxicate you. Add briny olives and capers, tomatoes and tuna, and the sauce takes on a gorgeous, red hue. Swirled with a tangle of linguine or spaghetti and topped with a drizzle with olive oil, this is comfort food with a decidedly Mediterranean vibe. You can finish with a dash of red pepper or grated Parmesan cheese to layer on some additional heat or creaminess.
Canned tuna is always one of our top choices when it comes to shelf-stable convenience, budget-friendliness and versatility—you can add it to just about any savory recipe. This fish is a nutritional all-star, too: It’s one of the best lean proteins around, as well as a rich source of essential nutrients such as vitamin B-6 and heart-healthy omega-3s. When you’re working toward the two to three servings of seafood a week recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, tuna sure is a yummy way to get there.
Pro tip: Don’t forget to reserve some of the pasta cooking water! The starch will thicken and bind the sauce to the pasta, so you won’t miss a spoonful of its amazing taste.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine or spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup chopped Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup chopped green olives (or use ½ cup chopped Kalamata olives and no green olives)
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (28-ounce) can or box of crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6- to 8-ounce) cans of tuna, drained and flaked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, optional (to garnish)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Then add olives, capers and basil to pan and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and tuna to pan and cook until sauce is warm, about 3 to 5 more minutes.
- Drain pasta, separately reserving about ½ cup of the pasta cooking water. Return pasta to empty pot.
- Add reserved pasta cooking water to sauce in pan; mix well. Add sauce to pasta pot and stir until pasta is coated with the sauce. Distribute pasta evenly among four bowls; drizzle with remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with Parmesan, if desired.
Suggested cooking tools
Pot, sauté pan, colander