As the weather gets cooler, there’s nothing like a steaming pot of mussels to warm you up! We’ll admit it, we order mussels whenever we spot them on a menu. They’re satisfying, tasty and good for you, so what’s not to love? Plus this recipe easily comes together in your own kitchen with an Instant Pot. Our newest recipe, Instant Pot Curried Mussels, lets you recreate a bistro classic at home, in just 20 minutes — about half the time of traditional stovetop preparation.
Some home cooks may be intimidated by mussels, but they’re a breeze to cook if you keep a few things in mind. Look them over and discard any that are open or cracked. And right before you start cooking, give them a good soak and remove their beards. If you haven’t done this before, no worries — we’ve got you covered with this tutorial. After you become a debearding pro, you’ll want to eat mussels every week!
Another reason to eat more mussels: They’re a superfood! Low in fat, mussels offer about 20 grams of protein per 3-ounce serving. They’re also loaded with zinc and selenium, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
To get this mussels party started, simply sauté the shallot and garlic and whisk together the broth ingredients with the curry powder and cumin. Then add the mussels and let the Instant Pot work its magic! Five minutes, and voilà! Plump, tender mussels simmered in an exotic blend of coconut milk, wine and spices. The taste and aroma will transport you to the South Seas! Serve the mussels immediately over linguine, or with some crusty bread to sop up every drop of the wonderful sauce. Are you ready to dig in?
Instant Pot Curried Mussels
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 pounds mussels, washed and bearded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine (or use 1 cup chicken broth and omit wine, if desired)
- 14 ounces canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Baguettes or crusty French bread (optional)
- Turn Instant Pot setting to sauté function, and sauté garlic and shallot in olive oil until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add chicken broth, wine, coconut milk, curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper; stir.
- Turn off sauté setting and add the mussels. Place lid on Instant Pot, ensure that sealing valve is closed and select Manual mode on high setting for 5 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally.
- Serve on platter with parsley for garnish and bread for dipping, if desired.
Instant Pot, spatula, platter