Happy Sunday, Seafoodies!
Need a nosh to get you through to dinnertime? Or an impressive snack to show off during the Zoom Happy Hour? You’ll flip for our new Smoked Trout Dip, a simple, savory, and satisfying treat that is also good for you. Easy to make, easy to store and easy to eat – think of this trout dip recipe as snack time made simple!
Seafood dips go perfectly with raw veggies, crackers, or pita. We’ve tested this theory with our other original dips – the salmon dip, shrimp dip, and crab dip. All tasty ways to get your seafood servings in, especially if you’re looking for some healthy snacks.
So, let’s talk about smoked trout for a moment because it might not be on your standard grocery list. You may be surprised to discover that trout is in the salmon family, can be freshwater or saltwater, and has been cured. The result is a buttery, smoky, flaky product. It will come in a tin, pouch, or vacuum packed, making it another pantry- or fridge-stable seafood product that’s great to have on hand to top a salad or use in a dip.
A serving of smoked trout (about 4 oz.) provides a healthy dose of protein and vitamin D in a 100-calorie package. Plus, it is a tasty way to get part of your It’s a great way to boost protein at snack time. And, it’s a tasty way to get part of your 2-3 weekly servings of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans seafood recommendation.
One last thought – if there is any schmear leftover – treat yourself to Smoked Trout Dip on a bagel/toast tomorrow morning. Game changer! Enjoy!
Smoked Trout Dip
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Suggested cooking tools: fork, small spatula, medium bowl for mixing
- 6 oz. smoked trout
- 3 oz. light cream cheese, softened (use more if creamier dip preferred)
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp. chives, chopped
- Pinches of salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, flake the smoked trout until shredded.
- Add remaining ingredients (cream cheese through salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper); combine until well mixed.
- If desired, drizzle dip with a little olive oil before serving. Serve in a bowl or divide into individual servings (up to 4).
Suggested accompaniment: whole-grain crackers, pita, red pepper strips, celery.