Necessity is the mother of invention, or so the proverb goes. When we have mouths to feed quickly, we often turn to pantry staples like canned or pouched tuna! It is always on standby to save dinnertime and it served for our latest recipe inspiration: Mediterranean Tuna Pizza!
No surprise that we’re always thinking of new seafood recipes, and sometimes the best ideas come when you get creative about pulling together a meal when the fridge is sparse. Which is how our newest creation was born—a fabulous Mediterranean-style flatbread that we think you are going to love! We’ll show you how to beat a case of the hungries with our latest Seafood Supper Club recipe—a mouthwatering Mediterranean Tuna Pizza. This is a tasty pie sporting authentic Italian flavor that comes together in minutes thanks to ready-made crust.
You never knew you needed this recipe in your repertoire, but oh, you do. It leans heavily on pantry staples such as canned tuna and Kalamata olives and leaves plenty of room for improvisation, so you can use whatever veggies and cheeses you have on hand. That said, it would be tough to beat this particular flavor combo of arugula, red onion, mozzarella and Parmesan. It sets off the tuna perfectly, in our humble Seafoodie opinion, especially when you sprinkle on some chopped basil and fresh lemon zest for a little extra zing.
If you’ve never had seafood as a pizza topping, it’s time to give it a try! Tuna is rich in protein, low in fat and calories and big on convenience, without all the saturated fat and sodium of pepperoni or sausage. It also is a good source of vitamin B-12 and omega-3 fatty acids, which help boost cardiovascular health and reduce inflammation.
And if you’re thinking homemade pizza is a heavy lift, think again! Starting with a premade flatbread or pizza crust is a real time-saver. This picture-perfect pie is ready in just 20 minutes, so it easily serves as a light lunch, after-school snack or even a party app (just slice it into squares). Follow our step-by-step instructions, and you’ll be enjoying this tuna pizza in no time!Print
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon corn meal
- 12-inch flatbread or pizza crust
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 2 (5-ounce) cans tuna packed in olive oil (light or albacore), flaked
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup torn basil leaves, optional
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare round pizza pan by brushing with 1 teaspoon of olive oil on pan, then sprinkle cornmeal over olive oil.
- Place flatbread or prepared pizza crust on pan. Brush on remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on top of crust, then sprinkle on Italian herbs. Top with flaked tuna, red onion, olives and arugula. Spread mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses evenly over toppings; sprinkle on crushed red pepper. Garnish with basil and/or lemon zest, if desired.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
Recommended equipment; Pizza pan, spatula
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Tuna