Let’s face it: The Dinner Fairy rarely shows up when we need them the most. This, Seafoodie friends, is exactly why we love sheet pan meals! Just throw some seafood, veggies and seasonings on a pan, pop it all in the oven, and voilà — you’ve got an amazing meal in minutes! If you’re a fan of this save-the-moment style of cooking, you’ve got to check out our first new recipe of 2023, Sheet Pan Cod & Vegetables with Smashed Tomatoes and Feta. It’s just in time for National Nutrition Month, which encourages people to make informed food choices and develop healthy eating habits. This year’s Nutrition Month theme is “Fuel for the Future,” and we can’t imagine a tastier future than having this cooked-to-perfection cod on our plate! Featuring all the bold, Mediterranean flavors you love, this dish is delectable and super-healthy to boot.
As a rule, a seafood sheet-pan meal takes minimal effort and (thanks to the magic of oven-roasting) brings out the best in each ingredient. This recipe is no exception! It starts with mild, flaky cod, a.k.a. one of the most versatile fish on the planet. Cod is a serious contender for any dinner, and this wonderful white fish pairs deliciously with all things Mediterranean. Topped with a drizzle of olive oil, oregano and a generous sprinkling of crumbled feta, it roasts alongside a vivacious veggie medley — we’re partial to this blend of broccoli florets, zucchini and yellow squash, but you can substitute any quick-cooking veggies that float your boat — and some garlicky cherry tomatoes.
Then comes the really fun part: the smashing! After a few minutes of oven time, these tangy tomatoes are ready to bust out of their skins. A fork or potato masher gets the job done, transforming the gorgeous, red globes into a light and savory sauce. Add a few briny olives, fresh, chopped basil and a squeeze of lemon for an extra infusion of Mediterranean flavor.
Now, we said this dish was good for you, too, and we meant it! Cod is one of our favorite sources of lean protein — offering as much as 20 grams in a 3-ounce serving — as well as B vitamins and selenium, which help boost your energy and support metabolism and immunity (among other things!). By adding some heart-healthy olive oil and fiber-rich veggies to the mix, we’re also bringing plenty of other nutrients and antioxidants to the table. Talk about fuel for the future!
It’s hard to overstate how much we adore this dish! Who needs culinary fairy dust when you have a recipe like this one?
Sheet Pan Cod & Vegetables with Smashed Tomatoes and Feta
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1½- to 2-pounds cod, cut into 4 fillets
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced into ½-inch-thick rounds
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning or dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 lemon, halved (use juice of one half, slice other half for garnish)
- ½ cup Kalamata olives (optional)
- ¼ cup basil leaves, torn (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line an 18” x 13” baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Place the cod on one end of the sheet pan and tomatoes and garlic on the other. Then arrange the zucchini, squash and broccoli in between and around the cod and tomatoes. Drizzle fish and vegetables evenly with olive oil; then sprinkle with seasoning or oregano, salt and pepper evenly over the entire pan. Then, top cod and vegetables (not tomatoes) with feta.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables and feta are golden and fish is cooked through, opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Using a fork or potato masher, smash the tomatoes to pop open and juice runs onto pan.
- Plate the fish and vegetables, squeeze lemon juice on top of fish, and then top with the crushed tomatoes and garlic. Top with olives and basil leaves and serve with lemon slices, if desired.
Baking sheet, parchment or foil, fork or masher